Winterbourne is a rare surviving example of an early 20th century suburban villa and garden. The house was built in 1903 for John and Margaret Nettlefold, of Guest, Keen & Nettlefold.
Nettlefold was a pioneer of town planning who carried the ideas seen in his own home to the less wealthy areas of the city.
Originally designed as a small country estate with rustic outbuildings and large gardens, Winterbourne followed the style of the Arts and Crafts movement with examples of local craftsmanship throughout the house.
Margaret Nettlefold designed the garden, inspired by the books and garden designs of Gertrude Jekyll. After a period of restoration, the garden was Grade II listed by English Heritage in 2008.
Val and Bea on Winterbourne terrace
Val and Nina at Winterbourne in 1911
Margaret and Beatrice Nettlefold
Evelyn and the horses
Arts and Crafts desk and diary
John MacDonald Nicolson was the last private owner of the house and a keen gardener. He developed many new areas, including a scree garden and small alpine features around the garden.
Nicolson died in 1944 and bequeathed the house and garden to the University. The garden became the University’s Botanic Garden and new areas for teaching and plant conservation were developed within the historic layout.
The garden today is still used by students but is also open to the public to be enjoyed by everyone.